At South Tampa Smiles, we try to educate our patients about all aspects involving dental care so they are knowledgeable about their oral health and live healthy lives. We take dental education seriously, although there are some facts about teeth that we would like to share for the purpose of entertainment as well as enlightenment.
We have compiled a few fun facts about teeth that we thought you would enjoy learning about.
Our Top Picks of 10 Fun Facts About Teeth:
- The average person produces a quart of saliva per day. That’s 10,000 gallons in a lifetime.
- The plaque found on teeth hosts more than 300 different types of bacteria.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest part of the body, even our bones.
- Humans have two sets of teeth in their lifetime. Baby teeth and permanent teeth.
- Teeth are formed in the womb, but they come through at 6 to 12 months old.
- Humans have 4 different types of teeth: incisors to cut, canines to tear, and premolars and molars to grind.
- If you floss once a day, you will use about 5 miles of floss over your lifetime.
- If you brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time, you will brush your teeth for about 24 hours each year.
- Each individual tooth and tongue is unique has it’s own “finger print”.
- One third of your teeth are under your gums. Only two thirds of your teeth are exposed.